Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast/Overhead Paging with CCM VoIP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoIPey

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
US
We're seeking a solution for our broadcast/overhead paging problem.

Environment (currently) includes CCM 3.2 with plans to upgrade to 3.3. Currently, we have a independent paging system but would like to transition to using masses of Cisco 7960 phones for paging. And, possibly, integrate into existing paging system (likely via FXS module).

I understand CCM cannot directly support this request (without use of third part apps). Can anybody direct me toward software/solutions or correct me if incorrect?
Thanks!

BTW, this is also posted in "Communications Rack > Networking > Cisco: Switches Forum" as I just noticed the CCM section. Sorry!

Voipey, we're not using CCM as such, but are installing Cisco equipment for a hosted "IP Centrex" type solution.

Our plan is to use ATA-186 connectors to interface with an analog overhead paging system.

Can't help you with the mass-speakerphone-paging question.

We've done this several times. It is more tricky than meets the eye. The ATA186 will probably not work becuase it does not support disconnect supervision. Even an FXS port may not be enough. Depending upon how the paging system is configured, you may need an FXO port (if the paging system is expecting DISA) or you may need an FXS port with disconnect supervision and a telephone to paging interface such as a Bogen TAM-B.

Broadcast paging to the speakers in the phones is not simple either. It would require multicast routing to be enabled on the routers with IP phones. This is probably why Cisco did not build this into Call Manager.

Good luck!

Ivor Benjamin
CTO
Digital Ingenuity, Inc.

Bogen TAM-B on an ATA-186 works just fine... if you are going to use a Valcom paging unit it requires an FXO port so you will need to use a VIC card in the back of a router.

If you setup ITS (IOS Telephony Service) that has built in paging to ip phone, it also has a great feature call line overlay so you can have shared lines ring when someone is on the shared line, really cool, has some drawback like no call park but does just about every thing else and is on the router ie 1750 or 2620. works with unity and other legacy VM too

CCNA MCP NET+ A+

RE:Admanok

Did you need the power supply along with the TAM-B system or since it is used as a station type, so u didnt need a power supply and plugged the rj11 directly into it from the ATA?

guruAVVID:

From memory we didn't use a power supply. Just plugged straight into an FXS port on an ATA 186. We're not using a TAM-B anymore, we upgraded to a PCM2000 Zone Paging unit also from Bogen so I can't say with 100% certainty.

In addition to the Berbee Informacast application there is the IP Zonepage product which was recently acquired by Norstan. You can find info on the Norstan application suite for converged IP voice and data networks.

Pat

There is a simple solution, and it will not only solve this need, but many others that will come up over time.

Get a real PBX.

Real PBXs have had support paging access for multiple zones for well over 20 years and they quite capable of doing VoIP very, very well.

Turn the featureless Call Manager servers into game servers. If you like playing with toys, you'll have more fun than with that "toy" PBX, Call Manager

LOL, I install CallManager and AVAYA based IP solutions.. I agree with holmes66 somewhat.. It all depends on what you need to do. CallManager is getting better. But if you're in that situation where you have call centers or businesses that need feature rich telecom features. CallManager isn't there yet. I sure hope they release a lot of features in CCM 4.0...

has anyone seen any specs on 4.0 yet?

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back