Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast music on hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoast10

Technical User
Apr 11, 2011
CA
My primary music-on-hold trunk is configured for music broadcast. We have 30 licenses assigned against it and for the most part it works without issue.

We run a fair sized call centre on the switch as well as a general office environment. On a couple of occasions the call centre has reported that a caller has said that the music on hold was choppy or had a lot of static, but when they connect into the agent the line is clear.

A typical statement is:
"I just had a plan member tell me the hold music was cutting in and out and there was quite a bit of static.
Our conversation was fine and there was not any static on the line."

After I have heard those complaints I have used the ACOD code of the music trunk to listen in and hear what is going on, a number of times over a couple of days. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

So it opens up a question that I am not totally certain on - namely exactly how is the music broadcast feature feeding calls to multiple endpoints at once.

The documentation for the feature indicates that conference resources are not used it simply states " the Music Broadcast features allows the system to broadcast music to several parties at one time using a single Music Broadcast trunk port. This feature supports Music On Hold [MOH}. Music is now delivered using system software; hence, Conference Hardware is not required".

I envison the music being fed to our PBX from our external music source. The music getting converted to a wav file, and then the PBX pushing the WAV file out to the various TNs requesting music. I can envision that under heavy load the process can bog down and a user would hear music cutting in an out etc.

anyway....

That is my take on how music broadcast is done. Does anyone have an idea as to exactly how the PBX supports/delivers broadcast music on hold?
Can anyone theorize why the music broadcast might cut in and out and have static as per the complaint?
Does the problem suggest that there is a problem on a specific card in the PBX?

Thanks in advance

Are you using a universal trunk card for music or a miran? My guess is more than likely your music source is causing the problem, you just haven't heard it yet. Are you using a FM type radio for music or a digital type source? I think your take on how it works is spot on. If this is a 1000E and is crossing media gateways you might suspect a VGW channel. It could have been anything though if it is sporatic. Maybe the guy was calling in from a cell phone, you never know.

My bet is that the caller is on a cell phone and music does not do well after being converted thru the path, plus the callers background noise gets picked up easier because people on cell phones are not usually in a controlled environment.. driving with window down,, outside in a crowd, etc....

do the basics of check your system clocks (ld 60)
LD 135 stat health / CPU
Look at AHST for errors regarding the route for music.

Could be a PRI issue maybe? check counters on PRI span (LD 60 LCNT)

Make sure you are running on primary DCH.

I believe you are correct in assuming that NO conf ports are used for the Broadcast.

Unless it's the source of the music ( and no one else complains at the same time) so maybe it's the file, CD , whatever......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back