Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast Message without DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergmj

Programmer
Feb 21, 2001
US
I have an interesting problem. I have two pieces of hardware (both without a Windows operating system -- running Xylinx FPGAs inside). I also have a software application that would be running on a Windows XP or Vista machine.

I need a way to send out a broadcast ethernet packet withouth DHCP or TCP. The two hardware devices will be listening to any broadcast messages and they can handle reacting accordingly. I just need to find a way to send out a user-defined broadcast ethernet packet.

Now the tricky part is that these two hardware devices may or may not be on the same subnet and I definitely won't know their IP address when I send out this message. The goal is to actually get them to change their IP to the address in my user defined ethernet packet that is broadcast.

Any ideas or thoughts would be more than welcome.

Thanks

fergmj

Normally, a broadcast is non-routable.
Any device must be on the same subnet.

The exception is if you have a DHCP Relay agent, IP helper address, etc. configured on your router. Then the broadcast is forwarded to a specific destination.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back