Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast message - Is it a solution for a select few?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsykes

Technical User
Apr 28, 2010
US
We use nortel 3900 series with a nortel cs1000 meridian switch and have call pilot 05.00.41.97.

My customer had an issue the other day where they had to shut down their building due to an emergency issue. She only new of the option of sending a mass email to those in her building to let them know they had an issue and the building was locked down. A paging system is too expensive for them right now so they asked if they could use the phone some how to send a mass voicemail. I know that we can send a broadcast message but from my knowledge it is only used for sending it throughout our entire corp. but not sure if we are able to use this same functino for a select few.

Would a distribution list be a solution to this problem and they would use this list to send a composed message.

For a select few it would be the answer, that way they could get the message out to the individuals under them

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

You could use Group Call, to call up to 20 people, that end up in conference. If 20 is enough to alert the "Safety Team" members, it's a good way to connect with a group via phone.

--
GHTROUT.com - Help for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators
--

If you can only use up to 20 people, the group call will not be very efficient in this case bacuase they have close to a hundred people of not more in this one building.

How do you use group call? Do I set this up in call pilot?

No Group call is a PABX feature, when you press the key it rings up to 20 phones as the phones are picked up it continues to ring the rest

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Set up a SDL(Shared Distribution Lists)

I think it limits out at 200 if static and no limit if dynamic

A voice mail message telling people there is a fire or disaster is not going to look good after the dust settles.

I say call the fire department and ask them how to coordinate or notify people in a building during a disaster. They do that for a living. We're telecom people and we should not be deciding how to be firefighters or life savers.

That's the route I took, and I'm glad I did. Everyone was proud that we "did the right thing" by asking the experts - the people who would be carrying the bodies out that could not be saved.

--
GHTROUT.com - Help for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators
--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back