Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast Message from root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scunningham99

Programmer
Sep 20, 2001
GB
Hi All

I have 3 sun solaris servers runnig 5.6

When i shut server A down using #shutdown -g0 -i6 -y
I am receiving message on server B, how can i stop this. I just want the server to output the mesg on the server i am shutting down!!!

#Broadcast Message from root (rpc.rwalld) on lsi Wed Jan 16
From root@lsi: THE SYSTEM IS BEING SHUT DOWN NOW !!!
Log off now or risk your files being damaged.

Any clues?!?!?!?!

SY

An immediate solution would be to disable rwalld in machine B's inetd.conf. You probably never use rwall.

Would this mean i would not get any more wall messages on server b. Say if i was to shut down server b. would i get a mesg???

sy

If I am on System B and have for example a telnet seesion to System A then I will get the warning message. I assume you don't get any messages on System C.

If you use the reboot or init 6 command then System B is chopped without warning. But then System A doesn't either.

However it looks like the /etc/shutdown script contains relevent details, but I wouldn't want to play with it!

Do I simply rem out the following line in etc/inetd.conf

# The rwall server allows others to post messages to users on this machine.
#
walld/1 tli rpc/datagram_v wait root /usr/lib/netsvc/rwall/rpc.rwal
ld rpc.rwalld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back