Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragj195

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
GB
Can anyone help please. I currently connect my home pc and my work laptop using an Alcatel USB modem by manually connecting the modem into the USB port of whichever deveice I am using. I would like to use be able to connect wireless from my laptop and I believe there are a number of way I can do this.

1) Connect the modem to the PC and use wirelss NIC's in the pc and laptop along with internet connections sharing. I have heard some wirelss NIC cards support peer to peer, would this mean I don't need to buy a wireless gateway? I am not too keen on this method as I don't want to have to change the laptop domain settings to a home workgroup every evening.

2) I think the best method is to use a wireless router and couple of wireless NIC cards. The problem is wireless routers all seem to connect to the ADSL modem through an ethernet port but my Alcatel modem is USB. Is there an adapter I can buy or are there any wireless routers with USB ports to connect to the modem?

Thanks

rag

Thanks for the link it looks as though buying a router with an inbuilt modem would pretty much cost the same as using a router with my current modem.

rag

The Vigor2600 is FANTASTIC!!!

I had the exact same situation as you do and bought the 2600 right after it was released in the USA. You get the benefits of the hard wired LAN in addition to the wireless. The firewall and security features of the router are easy to configure.

Like you, I have an Alcatel USB modem and thought I was screwed until I came across the Vigor.

Sorted! Just got a Netgear DG824 wireless router with inbuilt DSL modem along with 1/2 price wireless PCMCIA card all for £153.00. Works perfect! I shall now retire to the garden as the sun is shining in the UK for a change!

how did you connect your alcatel USB modem to a vigor 2600? all the 2600'a ive come across only have rj45 connections for adsl

i have the alcatel usb and really want a vigor 2600 thats all

many thanks
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back