Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband subscribers usage control

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzhe3

ISP
Nov 26, 2002
AU
Hi all,
I got a question here. We started provisioning ADSL service not long time ago, and at present we need to introduce more flexible service packages based on the different bandwidth, different download required by each individual subscriber. I doubt this can be done easily just by some extra config on the routers or radius. We can give a different ip pool address and traffice shape for each group users, but how can I control each session/user's usage? do we need to install some new server for the ADSL subscribers management? What about RedBack? Can anyone give me some advice about that?

Thanks.

i know that enterasys has a pretty good solution for exactly what you are talking about. Provides not only authentication, but also allows you to restrict bandwidth by application based on the user, regardless of IP address. Quite interesting. But, that would mean purchasing and switching to different vendor possibly. If that is not an option, you could look into assigning static IP addresses to those individuals and providing the service based on single IP address...but thats just a thought....

i am interested in hearing some other ideas as well, though....

what are you using to provision the DSL? i would think that it would support based on subscriber, not by user, but probably by subscriber. Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

A redback could do it, but depending on how you are provisioning your DSL you may be going through one already. If you are "reselling" the telco service (using your own bandwidth) then you are probably using their DSLAM equipment and possibly a redback as well. The port speeds are probably limited on the DSLAMs in the Central Office (CO). How is the DLS reaching you? Is it coming in over ATM on say a DS3? If thats the case you are probably using a 7200 series Cisco with a PA-A3-T3 card. if you have this (assuming that your network is setup correctly) you could place a rate limiting device between this router and your edge router. I've used the Netenforcer by allot.com as well as the Tutsystems to do broadband subscriber management. I'd really need to know more about how your network is setup though. ----------------------------------------
Nicholas D. Buraglio

Hi Eric and Nic,
Thank you for your response. It's really helpful.
Yeah, you are right. We have a 7200 series router as the local internet gateway. Our DSL provider gives us several CVC links to the 72xx Hssi interface. I believe Dsl provider must put the limit on all our users according to their ADSL speed choice, but after that, all the traffice must all have been aggregated and sent through to our CVC links, right? Then how the Redback performs the session traffic shaping? based on packet ip address, user name or PVC? then do we have to upgrade to PVC?
I assume Redback is not just for traffic-shaping, right? Is there anything else makes it good for ADSL?

Thank you.

Jenny

I've not done it exactly that way. In my experience I used a full ATM DS3 into my 7206vxr, and back into the telcos ATM cloud. From there it went up to the redback, to the respective DSLAMs and out to the customer from there. The Redback did the access control (via PPPoE usernames and directed to the correct providers using the @domain.com part of the login). The bandwidth control (how they provisioned the circuits) was done on the DSLAMs I *think*, it was all telco side, it could have been done on the redback. So I was pretty much stuck with the bandwidth of the circuits that the telco allowed me to offer. Now, one of our branch offices had wireless that was bandwidth limited via a Netenforcer. It worked well, it just neded to be inbetween the external links and the portion of the network that it wanted to control. ----------------------------------------
Nicholas D. Buraglio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back