Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon Ways

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
Hi. I have two computers - one upstairs and one downstairs. Both are networked and have internet access via a US Robotics wireless router which sits next to the computer upstairs.

The computer downstairs - running windows XP SP2 - works fine with no problem at all.

The computer upstairs however regularly discconnects from the Internet. It is still networked with the downstairs computer, but Internet access is not possible. If i click the "Diagnose Connection Problem" button, it just tells me that a problem occured that cannot be fixed. I have now done away with the wireless, and have used cables to the router but the problem still happnes. It is odd that it only happens on one of the computers even though both are using the same router, and also that only the internet connection is lost but the network connection remains.

Is there a way of stopping this problem, or at least find out exactly what is causing it?

It sounds like your nic card in the upstairs pc is going bad

One thing to add - which i have only just noticed. When the Internet connection drops, so does connection to mysql database which is saved on localhost. Whenever I access a webpage that is saved on localhost, i get a mysql error. Rebooting solves this. In addition, i cannot open view any database through HeidiSQL - my MySQL editor.

I you have process errors on your upstairs pc whenever it stops accessing the outside world, it sounds like a machine problem instead. Have you run a virus scan and malware scans?

Yes i have run all sorts of virus and spyware checkers. Nothing out of the ordinary.

As i mentioned though, it is not just access to the outside world that is lost. I also lose access to all my websites saved locally on my pc. no longer works, although after a reboot, it does. Restarting IIS has no effect either.

I can not even access my databases saved locally through any application. HeidiSQL, MySQL Control Center etc. The only way i can get anything back is to reboot.

Is there anywhere i can look to see any computer errors that may get logged at the time of disconnection? Or anywhere else that may give some clue as to exactly what is failing? Remember this is a Windows Vista PC, and i find that things are in a very different place to Windows XP

Thanks

Oh gosh, I don't know anything about vista except it comes in 3 or 4 different flavors. I'll kick this up to a colleague and see if he has any ideas.

Thanks Crowtalks. I may have solved the problem though. (Kinda). I was playing with some settings that in all honesty, I knew nothing about, and completely killed my computer. I had to reformat the C drive, and reinstall windows vista and all my software. (Luckily all my documents are backed up to another drive every night).

Since the rebuild, the problem has not happened. I will give it a couple of days to be sure, but hopefully this may have fixed the problem.

Thanks though, i appreciate your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back