Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman59

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
DE
I installed Windows 7 on my desktop computer of 2001 vintage. This has an AMD Athlon 1500mhz CPU with 1.5 gigs of memory.
Windows 7 was a clean install on it's own partition, there are two other partitions each with XP SP3 Home.
The Internet connection is via a Realtek PCI card, then thro' a Devolo 200mbps mains adapter to a Netgear router, which obviously in hardware terms is identical for all three operating systems.
I have checked the connection speed of each installation using with the following results over the past couple of months:

XP both installations vary between 4.1 and 4.8mbps whether in normal mode or safe mode with networking.

Windows 7 on the other hand returns 6.5 to 6.7mbps which is close to maximum speed for my phone line.

It looks like that Windows 7 has better code/drivers for my setup despite it's age.
Has anyone else found a difference in connection speed with Windows 7?

Toolman59

I can't say that I have noticed much difference in speed between Windows 7, Vista, or XP, but I don't have a super fast connection to start off with. One thing that might be happening is that the hardware drivers are later updated versions for Windows 7. Are there any updated drivers for your XP systems? Maybe Windows 7 just has better Networking programming than the older systems?

Linney
The Realtek 8139/810x Family fast ethernet NIC drivers are different XP = 5.713.121.2009 (latest version) and Windows 7 = 6.110.530.2008 which most likely confirms your opinion that Windows 7 has better Networking capability.

I must say that I like Windows 7. When I eventually get a new system, it will be in conjuction with the release of W7 and not before.

Toolman59

I don't think it will be too long a wait before you have a new computer and a new operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back