Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband connection - speed tests fine, download still v slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmilner

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
I use Freeserve Broadband. Apart from the connection being dropped every time I receive a call on the fixed line (very annoying and currently necessitates rebooting the machine to restart the connection - ideas?) A further problem is the slow speed which I am able to download web pages. Although I've done several speed tests which suggest a speed in the range 200 - 450 kbs I am highly doubtful I'm getting this. The user experience is actually worse than my old 56k dial up connection. What could be causing this and what can I do to rectify it. I'm concerned generally that my machine is running sub-optimally but I can't defragment the hard drive (which was recommended)the process starts but never finishes! Also it crases 2-3 times a day but I suspect this is the dodgy OS (Win ME).

When I had DSL, ( I now have a cable modem), I had the same modem disconnecting prob every time the phone rang. I found it was due to the cordless (900mghz)phone we had. I replaced it with a 2.4 ghz cordless and the problem disappeared....borrow a friends and try and see if this does the trick....GL! You never learn anything by talking....only by listening!

Doh....for the other half of the prob....try this....goto and download the free trial of broadband wizard. Run the optimizer proggy and have it check your MAXMTU, TTL, RWIN, ect. settings...reboot and see if the speeds have improved. If they have...you can uninstall the proggy...GL! You never learn anything by talking....only by listening!

Finally...always defrag your hard drive in SAFE mode! It should run all the way through. You never learn anything by talking....only by listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back