Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bring back deleted files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busken

Technical User
Dec 14, 2004
SE
Hi, i tried to post this an hour ago but i don't think it worked so I give it another try.

I work for an entertainment company for the moment and a friend of me pressed Shift + Del and deleted the music files we was suposed to use tomorrow.
So, it's a sipmle question.
How do I get the music files back?
This is really urgent, when we are suposed to use the music files in 12 h.
I beg you. If you have any good ideas, please post them.

Best regards,
Erik busk

Did you check the Recycle Bin for the files? It shouldn't be there but you never know.

If not there are several software solutions, a google search came up with this

I have not used any of these, so I can't speak to the reliability.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

There is no sure way to get them back when you use Shift+Del.
Since that deletes them directly instead of going to the Recycle bin.
You should however try UnEraser as twiSSt stated above, I have used it before and it worked amazingly good with Text files, haven't tried with music.
But sometimes it doesn't work, and it might not even retrieve your files as whole (Meaning they might not even be playable.).

Next time, keep a backup incase something like that should happen again :)

In theory you should have Shadow Copying enabled by default. So just:

Right-click the folder the deleted file was located in and then select Properties.
Click the Previous Versions tab.
Select the folder you think the file is located in from the list.

Click Open and browse the contents to find the file or folder in the selected version of the folder.
When you find the file or folder, simply drag it onto your desktop to bring it back

Note that almost everything you do, including Web browsing and downloading and installing software, decreases the chances of file recovery.

Unless that was the only copy of original files, your best bet is to go where you got them originally and get new copies.

>Shadow Copying enabled by default

Oh - if you are using Home Basic or Home Premium it will appear that you don't have this feature, but this is only because Microsoft removed the 'Previous Versions' frontend not because shadow copying isn't working. You need to download something like ShadowExplorer which will give you access to the shadowed files

In theory you should have Shadow Copying enabled by default. So just:

Right-click the folder the deleted file was located in and then select Properties.
Click the Previous Versions tab.
Select the folder you think the file is located in from the list.

Wow! What a useful feature; I had no idea (not available in XP??). What if the actual folder is deleted (in which the files resided); does SC work then? Thanks[smile]

You can also 'cheat' shadow copy with files, so I would guess that you can with folders as well (but I haven't personally tried it with folders). If you remember the file (folder?) name you can manually create an empty file (folder?) with that exact name. Then right click on that file (folder?) and restore the previous version.

I don't see how that's an improvement, to be honest. It seems add an extra step.

>What if the actual folder is deleted (in which the files resided); does SC work then?

Yes, SC can recover folders and their contents

Thanks strongm; does SC actually work (has anyone here verified this either by testing or in actuality - in other words, they recovered their files with ease). For example, System Restore in XP does work (by and large). Thanks[smile].

^Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that SR was analogous to SC, I was just trying to give an example of a feature in XP that we know to work successfully.

strongm said:
I don't see how that's an improvement, to be honest. It seems add an extra step
Yes, you're correct that would be an extra step from having Shadow copy restore the entire folder......, but what if some of the other files within that folder have been changed [by someone else, perhaps] and should not be restored to a previous version?

Er ... you don't have to restore an entire folder. You can select 'Open' instead of Restore and it will allow you to browse the folder and recover any file or files from within it that you want.

Just throwing this out there... installing a program to recover files is a very bad idea. The installation is likely to overwrite the files, so your best option is to download a portable recovery program onto a Flash.

I highly recommend Recuva. It is very simple and easy to use and also has a portable version which you can download to a different hard drive or flash drive.

Download the portable version to your flash drive, unzip, and run. Click Scan, then in the search box type the name of the folder where the music was located to show only those files. Select all and restore.

Thanks strongm, I was just experimenting with that and it looks like once you find the deleted file in that listing, you need to drag it to another location like the desktop or real folder where it originally resided.

>you need to drag it to another location like the desktop or real folder

As I mentioned in my first post :)

Of course what we don't know is whether any of this helped Busken in time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back