Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrightStor V9 Multi-NIC cards configuration with Exchange Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Workingman

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hello working people!

I'm testing BrightStor v9 on two servers. One server has the Brightstor backup software and the other has Exchange 2000 with the BrightStor Exchange Agnet only. I'm not using any Client Agent software; I'm trying to avoid that extra cost.

I'm able to backup my Exchange Information store and now want to back it up using a dedicated 1000 Gigabit NIC which exist on both servers.

Brightstor has the capability to use multiple Network cards by selecting the IP address in the system admin section.

I've select my dedicated IP address, but when I run my Exchange backup it continues to use the first NIC.

Does anyone know how to force Brightstor backup server to use a dedicated NIC?

Could there be some type of configuration file or register that I need to configure?

You need to use the client agent for the server you want to backup. it gives you the ability to use the second NIC

You need to go in Brightstor server admin and under the admin tab is a listing for multiple Nic cards....

I'm trying something similar.

I have 5 W2003 Enterprise servers all with dual NIC.
One nic is on the main 192.168.x.x backbone
Second nic is on a dedicated 1Gb switch on 10.62.1.x

Although BS9.01 is configured in server admin to use the 10.60.1.x card, as is the client agents on the other servers, BS still uses the slow 192.168.x.x facing nic.

Has anyone else had a similar problem ?

Thanks,
Rick.

The CLIENT AGENT technology in BAB 9.x allows you to select on the CLIENT system which IP address to use for communications with the backup server.

For the person that started this thread, regarding exchange, you're doing COLD backups right? If you are trying to backup the stores (at their FILE level) while exchange is still running, your backups are worthless.

AJTmcse If you are trying to backup the stores (at their FILE level) while exchange is still running, your backups are worthless. - what do u mean?

If you are trying to backup the exchange database files, while exchange is still running, without using an exchange agent, the backup is worthless. This is because the files are in use, and will be out of syncronization.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back