Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrightStor SQL Backup is longer than VLDB? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

backupfrank

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2004
CA
I have move recently my database VLDB to SQL 2000. The differential backup and the full backup are taking much more time (about 15 hours more). The SQL server is not the same server has the backup server.What is the way improve the time of the backup?
Multiplexing?
My equipement IBM LTO with 30 Tapes, 2 head, Windows 2000 SP4, BrightStor V11 SP1
Thank you.

Multiplexing have reduce de time from 22 hours to 6 hours.
But it's still longer than when i had a VLDB database instead of SQL. About 3 hours total for the differential backup. Any sugestions will be appreciate.

What Remain capacity appear in the log?
I'm afraid the Multiplexing jobs doesn't works well in this way.

jmc

Could you tell me why it's a problem? Remain capacity is always 0 MB??
Exemple :
Information 01/18/2005 07:29:29 PM 17 *** Backup Summary for Job ID 17 ***
Information 01/18/2005 07:29:28 PM 17 Media Compression Ratio : 0.00
Information 01/18/2005 07:29:28 PM 17 Media Remaining Capacity : 0 MB
Information 01/18/2005 07:28:26 PM 21
Thank you.

Always that you run a MUX backup, the Remain capacity that you can see in the log is 0 MB

You can run the same job without MUX and see the right Remain capacity of the tape.

I think it's a mistake. I've submited this to CA.

jmc

Thank you jmcasane, i hope CA have a solution for the remain capacity 0MB. If you know informations or you have a contact about reduce the backup time with a SQL database, please send me theses informations. I need to learn to good practices with a SQL database instead of a VLDB database. For example do you still need to make a DBPRUNING?
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back