Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor Enterprise Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

0ryx

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2003
DE
Hi All,

I would like to hear some experiences from people with Brightstor Enterprise Backup 10.5? Is this a stable, robust product?

We have been suffering a lot with Database Corruptions for example with Arcserve. CA told us that the Database for Brightstor Enterprise Backup 10.5 is still of the same type as Arcserve, so we are affraid that we might also have DB corruptions in BEB if we would migrate...

Any comments?

Kind regards,
Oryx

The database is the same type that ARCserve and BrightStor Enterprise backup 10.0 use. My experience is that it corrupts when reaching 6/7 GB of data due to the huge amount of files that get merged into an already large database. CA advises to keep as much free space on the database volume as the size of the DB itself, but I also saw here on Tek-Tips that it is advised to keep twice the amount of the database size as free space in order for the database to keep funtioning. You can consider using SQL as ARcserve/BrightStor database, it is much more robust and stable

regards

I've been using BEB 10.5 for a few months now and haven't had any problems with it yet. I have over twice the database size in available space also. I use it to backup AIX servers with Oracle databases and also Netware servers but I'm having to use the Arcserve 7 NW agent for some reason. Long as I"m getting the data I'm happy! LOL

Antlers

We have had similar experiences with db corruption when reaching the 6/7GB range with 10.0. After going through a couple of painful months we decided to put MS-SQL in place and have had no problems whatsoever since. Our SQL server is happily operating with a 16GB ASDB database.

We also noted a performance increase as the backup host didn't have to manage and operate a database in addition to handling backup tasks.

Next on our agenda is the upgrade to 10.5, again using SQL, so I'm also interested to hear about experiences with 10.5.

They made a change in 10.5 with the VLDB. Basicly what they did was make it so the VLDB records summary information only so it is much smaller. The detailed information is kept on disk but not in the database. Then when needed it is automaticly merged in on demand without any extra steps on the part of the user.

In general 10.5 has been a good release.

Hello Everyone -
I am new to the Tek Tip group.
I have been running ArcServe for the past 4 years. We are a Windows 2000 shop w/ Dell as the hardware standard.
Recently I have been testing the new version of ArcServe (v10) versus ArcServe 2000.

I thought version 10 would solve some problems we have been experiencing here (Disaster Recovery problem). It did not. As a matter of fact, my IT management team are considering dumping ArcServe all together...
Lately we have ben having problems getting the multiple backup scripts to run without erroring out.
Everyday, I am needing to baby-sit the ArcServe process in the middle of the nite to ensure that it completes.

I ran hardware test againt my PowerVault 128T autoloader and everything passes without a hitch. This then tells me that ArcServe is having a problem dealing with the tape drive. This started happening when we started testing the new version of ArcServe.
With ArcServe 2000, I did not have these problems, only the Disaster Recovery part was not working.
Our solution to the Disaster Recovery is to ghost our server Images to the network, then archive to tape for offsite Disaster.

As far as ArcServe vers 10, I do not see the benefit of upgrading from ArcServe 2000. We have had more problems with this version than with ANY other...

The latest version of ARcserve is version 9.
The 10.0 and 10.5 versions are called BrightStor Enterprise Backup. This version is much like ARcserve on the Windows side but offers extra functionality on high end libraries, media management and can also be used in UNIX backup server environments.
From what I've seen on BrightStor 10.5 up to now was pretty OK.
The next version of ARcserve will be version 11.0. This version is in Beta testing fase now.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back