Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor Arcserve vs Backup Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lsteiner

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I am currently using an old version (8.0) of Backup Exec which I am happy with and wish to get new backup software for a Windows 2000 server that will (in addition to tape backup) also backup clients to an external disk drive attached to the server. I am looking at Arcserve and version 10d of Backup Exec. Has anyone compared both and determined which was better for you?

My main issue with CA is their support, in which they suck.

I mainly use Veritas for all my sites. I tried Arcserve once on a server and i didn't like it. Maybe it was just too differant but i didn't get the same information out of it that i was used too and that made me doubt my backups. In the end i removed it and put veritas back on and i'm much happier now.

We run ARCServe 11.1 and we've had a number of problems with it. Needless to say their support is inadequate. I called in the other day with an issue, opened a case with the highest priority and it took 4+ hours for someone to get back to me AFTER I called and complained.

Just in general, you can get more support on Backup Exec than the sucky Arcserve. Either from their official site, or if you search on the web, you get more info on Backup Exec. I think BE performs better too, its UI is more friendly and easy to understand too. Arcserve just sucks!

Long time ago, I used ArcServe. I loved it. Especially how it stored the database of files backed up and how it let you look at a single listing of files on a given disk and pick the version you wanted.

We ended up switching because a Dell Consultant had us switch after we started have seriously slow backups - which, months later we found out was attributed to corrupt or bad SCSI drives and had nothing to do with ArcServe. But by that time we had made the switch.

ArcServe support was nothing special... but not horrible as I remember it. BUT, that WAS YEARS ago.

Veritas was fine... we started with 8.6 and tried to go to 9 - that was awful. 9.0 had more bugs than a swamp. And even the Veritas techs new it - on my calls I asked them if they were getting more calls than usual for a new product and they admitted they were. I left the company before 9.1 came out, but MAYBE it's ok now with 9.1 and 10d. My biggest problem with Veritas today is that it's owned by Symantec - a company that hasn't made a decent product in well over a decade.

At this time - based on what others say about CA, I would have to say your damned if you do, damned if you don't pick one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back