Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrightStor 9.01 for Netware and BTRV Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gclarke

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help, I recently installed the upgrade patch QO45869 which upgraded from BrightStor 9 to Brightstor 9.01 and now i'm getting BTRV errors for astape.db and astpses.db to name but 2 of them.

I've tweaked the BTI.cfg file so that at least 20% of the available memory is available for the CacheBuffer, but i'm still getting these errors. Everything was working OK until I applied this patch.

Does anyone have any ideas, short of having to reinstall BrightStor on the server.

Hope you can help

Cheers

Graham

Hi,

Did you also make the other changes that CA recommend to the BTI.cfg. Some of the other values also need increasing.
I was getting BTR 100 errors. Then I loaded the 9.01 patch,changed the bti.cfg file and allocated more memory and the problem went away. I didn't use 20% of the total memory but instead allocated 80Mb Ram to the cachebuffers. Another CA document suggested you could use 20% of the total memory or 20% of the total expected database size, so I took the smaller size.

BTW, Can you get the alert manager working on your site?
My alert manager shows the error "failed to open the service" when I click on it? I can't find the alert service anywhere. I currently am waitng back from CA on this problem.

Regards DJ

I have set all the BTI.cfg parameters as per the document And i'm still having the same problem.

As for the Alert Manager function ours works fine. I set it up as per the documentation. If you give me some more info i can have a look and see how it compares

Cheers

G.

Thats the document I also used. What error code are you getting with the BTRV errors? error 100? I'm using Arcserve 9.01 on Netware 6 SP3. When Arcserve does its PFC, does it still display a message about needing 20% cache buffers or is it OK? Have you tried clearing the database?

My alert manager shows the error "failed to open the service" when I click on it? The alert service doesn't seem to be listed in the list of services. Is it still called "alert notification server" on your Arcserve?
Is the alert service supposed to be installed along with the manager or did you have to do something extra to get it working?

Regards DJ

anywhere. I currently am waitng back from CA on this problem

Also check the Btrieve (Pervasive SQL) version. This should be on Sp4 (7.94).
The Alert Manager is installed along with the managar but sometimes, when you install another CA program that uses the Alert Manager like eTrust antivirus, it will uninstall Alert. You can setup a standalone Alert Manager installation by using the CA fix 36911 (to be found at :

regards

I've checked the version of BTrieve running on the server and it's v7.90. When I installed Brightstor v9 i checked the box for it to upgrade to v7.94 and it did indeed install btrieve v7.94.
I can only assume that since i applied the patch it has overwritten the old btrieve nlm. Apparently CA are known for this - Handy eh?

Where can I download the v7.94 nlm from (Pervasive, Novell, CA)?

Cheers

Graham

Reboot the machine, I think the database won't be upgraded until the server is restarted.

regards

I've installed Brightstor v9 and then applied the upgrade to 9.01 patch to a test server. When I first installed the product I ticked the box to upgrade the NLM to v7.94. Rebotted the server, applied the patch.

When i check the module (modules btrieve) it comes back with a date of 21 March 2001 and a version of 7.90.

Assuming that this is wrong? Where can i get the v7.94 NLM from?

Cheers

Graham

I downloaded the SP from the Pervasive web site but when i apply it it tells me that it is already applied. That said i applied it anyway, restarted the server and again when i looked at the btrieve module datestamp the date is still March 21 and the version is still showing up as 7.90 so I am assuming that this is correct. If it is where do i go from here?

Cheers

Graham

I didn't check other posting, but did you try
"ASDB F=astape.db" and same for astpses.db to fix those databases?

Hi Graham. I don't know if you've solved the problem related to the btrieve version. In my case, i started looking for the version of the btrieve.nlm which shows 7.90 but i found out later that you need to look to the nwmkde.nlm which shows 7.94.250.000 version after upgrading to BEB 9.01. So i think this means it is SP4 (or 7.94)

Cheers

Did you ever get this solved? I keep getting an E4205 error on asjob.db. I've done everything that I can find on CA's site & Novell's site to fix it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back