Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor 11 error EC=-5007

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfair

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Brightstor 11 build 2670 trying to merge media created with Arcserve 6.61, error reads "Unable to add session to database. (EC=-5007)". I had to upgrade from NT to 2000 Server, then upgrade to Brightstor 11, now I need my files back from the tapes. Does anyone know how to do this? We are trying to recover from a catastrophic failure.

Thanks!

1) try merging a backup done from the new install, just to make sure it works.
2) try merging other sessions
3) try a sequintial merge, your path may be a little different but under Base it will be the same.

Open regidt32.exe
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine
Open it to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Task
Highlight Task and select Edit Add Key from the menue bar.
Key Name: Merge
Class: <leave blank>
Hightlight Merge and select Edit Add Value
Value Name: DonotUseCatalogMerge
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: 1 *// 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Thanks for the hack, I'll give it a try. I've looked through the Arcserve Help files and I can't find anything about "sequential merge". What does this mean and how do I initiate it?

I've edited the registry and tried a merge. Log says "invalid session header signature". Merge fails, again.

I've got the same problem happening.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance...

It's the old style merge, where it starts at the begining of the session on tape and reads through the whole thing rebuilding the database info.

Not good, that error means that chances of reading the tape is not very good. 1st thing is to do a backup with compare, and then restore just to make sure things are working correctly. It is possible there could be a drive problem. If that all checks out fine then,,, well you can try it with another drive, but that failing it's data recovery time (if it's worth that much). Try other sessions on the tape, and try other tapes. At this point it is important to know the extent of the problem.

Oh and by the way version 11 is fully backward compatible with 6.61 tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back