Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightsor Arcserve 9.0 on Netware 6.0, Manager cannot authenticate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilvo

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
GB
Hi, I'm running arcserve 9.0 on netware 6.0 sp2, whenever I start the manager software it cannot authenticate to the server running arcserve, I get the "unable to authenticate EC=-1" error. I have the server's DNS name in my hosts file and can ping the server's DNS name, the server has a Read/Write replica on it. All necessary NLM's are running on the server, any suggestions would be most welcome,
thanks
kilvo

I had to precede my username with a "." e.g. ".jim.sfo.na.acme" I have an operator that this doesn't work for and she has to fully qualify her user name e.g. CN=jim etc.

Hope this helps,

Jim

hi jim,

thanks for that, i've tried every combination possible, with a preceding dot, without, and using the fully qualified domain name, but it still doesn't let me in, i've tried a different number of administrator ID's too

keep them coming...............

Folks

Make sure the workstation is patched with ASMGR patches and a recent copy of NWClient also!.

.name always worked for me with 7. Its the same ol' set of problems over and again that came with 7. Not seen 9 yet but if the design is the same as AS7 then the backup user needs also to be a "super-user" type account with full DS object/prop rights to your part of the tree and related arcserve (purple in NWadmin) objects. AS_BACKUP_SERVER and AQ6* plus the server and volumes themselves.

PS Whatever happened to ArcServe 8???? Did CA want to distance themselves from 7???

Rgds

Mark

I'm waiting for response from CA help desk - spent an hour with them yesterday on this issue. Have tried everything so far...

I'm a long-time ARCserve users - this is either my fourth or fifth version (v9.0), and this has been the most frustrating upgrade/install to date. I'm beginning to wonder if Micro$oft has intentionally infiltrated all their competitors to make the rest of the world run as badly as MS products! ;-(

If I get resolution to this problem, I'll come back and post it...

hi,

if anyone is interested we actually fixed this now, we were running in an IP only environment and were forced to bind IPX to the servers just to get arcserve working.

Hi Kilvo,

We have IPX bound (for SNAP server) - still no luck. what else did you do?

thanks

Kilvo

BTW. you didn't mention which server you were failing to authenticate to. Is this a standalone backup server or a production server hosting Arcserve. If you are having general problems logging to remote hosts it might be worth installing the push agent (NWAGENT) onto the remote server and trying to create an object and authenticate to that. This is because NWAGENT leaves a trail on screen of what is happening during authentication that can be useful in diagnosing the problem.

It might be useful if you could track down the full Novell error code.

Mark

Hi

I have encountered the same thing with Arcserve 7.0. I worked all one day. I finally called support but they said that was extra $$$. hmm...I paid 5xx.00 for the software and still they want money. anyways. I found out that Arcserve uses ipport 111 and so does Novells Native file access, I am not sure that ifold uses that port either but I remmed it out anyways...I remmed out these statements:

│#---Added By Native File Access For Unix---
#nfsstart
#---Added By Native File Access For Unix END---

#STARTIFOLDER

and restarted the sever and the Arcserve manager found the server right now.

there is documentation to change the ipport but I could not get it to work! I could change the IPPORT but configuring Arcserve manager port number to match Arcserve ipport was a failure...you have to make registry settings which didn't seem to work for me.

Hope this helps...

Vaughn Bender
CNE Netware CNE 5.x

HI,

I found a solution. It's simple, even mundane, but it works. Let me start by saying that I tried all the things mentioned above and even the alternate ipport solution documented in Novell's tid #10065725 and Computer Assoc. Doc # 19103. But when all was said and done, it still didn't work...so I started poking around in the manager itself and I noticed that although the host server was designated by ip address, the ip address was being treated as a string value (as a name) not as an ip address.

It seems the manager was still trying to resolve the NDS common name. So I checked my DNS and it was correct. Just for kicks I inserted an entry for the server in my hosts file and, voila! It works now. I don't even get a login screen anymore. The manager just connects. So try adding the ip address to your hosts file in \\winnt\system32\drivers\etc and be certain you use the nds common name as well as the ip host name in the hosts portion. For example:
10.2.2.1 hostname ndsname

BDJones, MCNE, CNE4/5/6, CDE, MCSE, CISSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back