Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridging Two Cisco 2950 Switches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequietstorm

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
US
I have two Cisco 2950 switches. I connected them with a cross over cable and assigned each of them an IP address. I call them switch one & two. Now from switch one I can ping all thee nodes attaches to switch two, but I can't ping switch two? Am I missing something in my config? Everyting is vlan1. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

You should be able to ping switch 2 if all your addresses for your clients and switches are in the same address range . Need a little more information on your addressing scheme to see if there is something missing . If you do a show ip int brief does vlan 1 show up/up ? Makes sure there isn't another vlan on the switch in a up condition because this would shutdown the vlan1 interface .

This switch is off site. Since I can't reach I can only try to work with switch one. I thought may be I could make some changes to the port config in switch one that connect to switch two and bring it up that way. By the way, both switches are in the same subnet and vlan.

Don't know for sure , the switch address is really just another client on the network and you should be able to ping it . If you do a show cdp neighbor detail does everything look ok address wise . Does your address config look like this on switch 1 and 2 ??

Interface vlan 1
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I need to verify the 2950 configurations, is there another way to access it, since I can't ping or telnet into it? I have an analog line and a 56k modem onsite? Do you think I would be able to dial up into it? I know that's possible for a router? Any ideas, I am desperate.

If you have lost IP connectivity and have not configured for remote console access, then the only option you have is to either:-

a) Get someone on site to console in or
b) You will have to go to the site and console in.

Reamin positive. The affect on those around you will amaze.

If you have a 56k modem and the correct cable setup to run from the modem into the switch console port you should be able to dial into the switch to look at it . you would need a roll over cable to run to the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back