Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bridging/tunneling using ms proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I have put this on the nt server forum as well as I couldn't decide which forum would be best.

We have a nt server with ms proxy installed.

The machine has two nic's with one address being 192.x.x.x and the other range being 213.x.x.x

All of the staff machines are on the 192 address and the router (for the internet) is on the 213 address. The internet works perfectly. The problem is that the router also manages the telephone system and is configured/used by software that is installed on the staff machines. My question is can i configure proxy server to bridge the two ranges so the 192 range can see the router directly and if so how?

If you need any more info let me know.

Hi,
As long as clients are not using the winsock (vs http) proxy, you should just be able to set their default gateway to the (192.x.x.x) address of the ntserver and it will act as router to anything on 213.x.x.x .

If you're using winsock proxy (wspclient) it remotes everything by default and you have to set it (on the server) so that the LAT (local address table) includes your internal ip addresses. The WSP client will then use 'normal' IP if the destination address is in that table - i.e. it won't send it directly to the proxy server.

You can add to or change the LAT on the Proxy server by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, clicking Proxy Administration, clicking Winsock or Web Proxy Service, clicking the Service tab, and then clicking Local Address Table. Clients receive a copy of the LAT at the next restart, or you can force a new copy by clicking Update Now in the WSP Client tool in Control Panel on the client computers.

Rgds

thanks ifincham for your prompt reply.

We are using winsock proxy so i cant use the gateway.

The lat on the server has the 192 address already configured (and must be working due to the internet is working).

Could the lat be configured on the users machines only or wouldn't it make a difference.

Is there any other way around this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back