Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridging 7206 to 7206

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkoehn

ISP
May 24, 2001
US
I have two 7206's

One connected to an ATM with 4 PVC's and the other one is going to be connected to a 7206 with an 6Meg IMA circut.

First I need some configuration examples for the IMA ciruct.

Second. I need the pvc between the first 7206 and the second 7206 to be bridged and not routed. I need to maintain Layer 2 between the two. How do I do that?

Can someone lead me in the direction of this.

Thanks so much in advance.

Tony Koehn

Can't help you with the IMA circuit. The bridging problem is fairly simple.

In global configuration, set up a bridge group. Either DEC or IEEE works fine. I think DEC is the default:

bridge 1 protocol [ dec | ieee ]

In interface config for each interface that will participate in the bridging, turn on bridging:

bridge-group 1

That's about it. You can, of course, set protocol type filters, lsap filters, etc. You might also want to turn off spanning tree if the possibility of loops does not exist. I think the command is:

bridge 1 spanning-disabled.

-JD

Do you know what kind of bridge you want? A simple transparent bridge would be configured as jdavis said. This will cause the router to attempt to route the packet first then bridge it second. Your other choices include Source Route Bridge(SRB), Remote Source Route Bridge(RSRB), Concurent Routing & Bridging(CRB), and my favorite, DLSW+. What to use depends on the protocols you want to bridge.

How to configure IMA:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back