Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bricks backup slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chud

MIS
Aug 3, 1999
US
Visit site
just started backing up (online) exchange with latest exchange agent (arcserve sp1) with dlt, have good throughput on other servers but the bricks backup has (is) taking 15 hours for 9 gigs... wtf? backup is taking place on a remote server (same net, 100base). is this average?

Hi,<br><br>You say you are backing up 9GB, but is that the size of the footprint on the tape after the backup or the size of your IS Priv database before backup?&nbsp;&nbsp;Brick level will take longer than a full database backup because it is backing up every attachment and email contained in each mailbox. Where as a full database backup only backs up the compressed *.edb file. So although the .edb file is only 9GB on disk this is not the actual size on tape when using a bricklevel backup.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this is what you were after.<br><br>Regards,<br><br><b>CarlG</b>

How many mailboxes are being backed up?&nbsp;&nbsp;Try spliting the job into two.&nbsp;&nbsp;100 mailboxes per job is pushing it this is the limit per job in the real world

sorry i ment to say 1000 mailboxes is pushing it - MY BAD

Are you trying to back-up during working hours, while the mailboxes are being accessed ?

The exchange agent seems to copy attachments into it's directory so that it can transfer them to tape (I may be wrong about this but if you look in the agent's directory after a crash, you will see files in ther).<br><br>If the directory is protected by an open file agent or an anti-virus tool, there will probably be more more disk access going on than is strictly neccessary.<br><br>You could try disabling them for the duration of the backup or at least for the working directory.<br><br>I think the working directory can also be set in the registry.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back