Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick level backup causes Exchange to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymac3000

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2004
GB
Were using bexec 9.1 for small business server on a windows 2003 sbs standard edition server.

Whenever we backup the mailboxes at the brick level, it causes exchange to hang, i.e. any connection to exchange via a mail client hangs, and we need to restart the exhchange services to resume normal operation

The brick level backups are out of the backup at the moment. I know I can restore individual mailboxes/mails using the recovery storage groups and exmerge, and I know this is now the recommended way, but in my exerpience, the brick level backup is better for restoring individual mails, so I would like to get this operational again

Anyone know of any issues with this ? I have a call logged with MS re this, and they have asked me to contact Veritas as well, but I cant find anything in the support forums

Thanks

Andy

Why not just utilize your deleted items retention for recovering lost user emails and backup only the IS for DR?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

Deleted items retention only benefits those users who dont shift delete though.

I take your point, but I cant see that washing when someone's in a panic when they cant get some email theyve shift deleted

I know this is the recommended way, but all backup vendors still give you the option of the brick level backup, and the only downside that ive experienced is having to take the mailbox out of the backup selection should you delete/disable an AD account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back