Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BRI trunk as an analogue trunk? ( + application server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobywhiting10

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2022
GB
Hi all,

i have an IP office 500V2 with two DRI combination cards, meaning I have 4 DRI ports.

I would like to be able to connect this system to a regular UK landline. I am aware this would usually be done with analog trunk ports but as I said I don't have any of them.
Is it possible to configure the BRI ports to work with the regular UK landline? I have noticed that the line settings mention a POTS signal. not entirely sure what this setting is for.

Screenshot_2022-08-27_131635_vtstvj.png

I understand this might be something you just can't do, if that's the case please let me know.
I doubt you would be able to trick it into thinking the analog phone ports are trunk ports?

P.S: does anybody have the application server ISO as I am unable to download it from the Avaya website, thx

BRI and POTS operate over the same grade of copper wire, but that's as far as similarities go. It's a bit like comparing a compact car with (what you call) a lorrie. So no, it's not going to happen. I haven't looked up the details behind the "Not end-to-end ISDN" parameter, but surely it has to do with signaling between a BRI and POTS endpoint--disconnect supervision and such. Dump the BRI cards and swap with a combo or add an ATM4 daughtercard to an existing DS8. There are lots of options. Meanwhile, I wouldn't connect a POTS cable to the BRI card "just to see what happens". Ring current will likely destroy the board.

Tim Alberstein

no completely different interface, BRI is 4 wire digital (ISDN) interface with 2B+D and Analogue is 2 wire and analogue.

What you are looking at there "like a scarecrow wanking......clutching at straws" is just about the additional information element that can be sent over the d-channel in certain circumstances:

Default = Never*. Sets whether the optional 'Not end-to-end ISDN' information
element should be added to outgoing calls on the line. The options are Never,
Always or POTS (only if the call was originated by an analog extension). *The
default is Never except for the following locales; for Italy the default is POTS, for
New Zealand the default is Always.

@tobywhiting10 - combo cards are fairly cheap on ebay. You could swap it out for one of the analogue/pots ones.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks, I have looked @tac84
thare all around £80 to £150 which is way to much. I acquired a control unit for free with a server rack I bought. I decided to get a couple of cheep phones just to try it out. I don't need it to work its just a experiment until it gets put on eday as a full system.

Thanks anyway.

I guess you will have to wait until you get another unit with free a free analog trunk card.
80 to 150 pounds is not a big amount of money if this is all you spend on a phone system seeing that you didn't have to buy the rest of it
Less that most phones.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

As they say in Yorkshire "You don't get owt for nowt" I can see they are less than you have mentioned and you are getting a very powerful system.

You could add a SIP trunk but Avaya decided you can only add these to R10 and R11 systems.

Systems with BRI go for next to nothing as this is being phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back