Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

breathing insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven1

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
US
Hi guys & gals

I sometimes have to crawl,climb and leap around in crawl spaces and attics with insulation to run cat5 cabling.Does anyone know if the insulation is harmful as far as breathing it? beside the fact the it itches I worry about what it may be doing to my lungs.I heard it may be a OSHA requirment to wear a respirator while working in it.If thats the case,I can request one from managment.Any info on this?
Thank you all!

I would say to be safe wear a mask or respirator. Dont know if its required though jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

We use the paper dust type masks anytime we are in that environment. I don't believe there are specific health hazards for the product, but in a confined area with lots of particles in the air, they just get sucked right into your lungs which certainly isn't good. My suggestion as a minimum is the paper mask.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

To combat the itchies coat your arms and hands with baby powder. If you do get itchy wash with cold water, it closes the pores.

insulation can contain Formaldehyde and Asbestos leave alone the fact that the fibers that you are breathing DO contain glass and that is going into your lungs. I had leaned that before I started pulling cable so it always freaked me out when I pulled cable in older buildings ie. schools, hospitals ect.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Well this is day three of being in the attic(few hours @ a time).I'm pretty much sick of the itchies and the crap in my nose.
I guess I need to take a crash course on construction because for the life of me I cannot find the top plate I want to drill down to.I thought I found it,drilled but no cable.
Does anyone know of a website I might find info on that.
Thanks

i don't know a site but what i would do is, put a toner on the other end and make sure there is a new battery. if the surface you are going through is wood you will be able to hear the tone at that location. did you follow that? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Raven1:
Those paper masks never seemed to stick tight enough on the sides, so I always sucked the stuff down anyway.
Try to find a "Comfo II" dual cartrige respirator. I bought mine of EBAY for like $30, with a box of fiberglass/Asbestos filters. Man... There is NO going back. (I would recommend a size Large instead of Medium).
It works excellent!

Good luck!
-dgyde

Thank you dgyde!! I will check that out

Status
Not open for further replies.