Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Breaking a up a T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8o

MIS
Jul 6, 2000
US
I have a full 24 channels of a T1 coming into a Cisco 2621 router. I have a second CSU/DSU module that I would like to send 12 of those 24 channels out of to a 2500 router on the other side of a T1 connection.

Is it possible to divide the channels inside the router? If so how? [sig][/sig]

the number of channels are a factor with the WAN speed 128,384,512 and ect . To my knowledge there is no way of splitting these up within the router . What type of application are you running ? Maybe we can help you better if we knew exactly what you have and what exactly you are trying to accomplish . ( IE point-to-point , Frame-relay ect .) . [sig][/sig]

The device you want is referred to as a T-1 multiplexor. Adtran, in particular, makes them. For example, you could have a muxer with 1 T-1 port and 2 V.35 ports. Map DS0's 1-12 to one V.35 and DS0'2 13-24 to the other V.35 and you would have the desired configuration. Maybe now someone will tell me how to loopback a Cisco 2500 PVC...... feel the love...

This is for an ISP. A customer wants 12 channels for himself. We would like to give them to him.

This Muxer, where can I find out more about it? [sig][/sig]

For the little picture: Go to and click around for T-1 multiplexor (I shorted it to muxer cuz I cant tiPe)
For the big picture: Go to and search for T-1 multiplexor.
"wants 12 channels for himself" what does that mean ? Are you the ISP or is he the ISP ? So this method splits the T-1 before the router and would then require 2 routers - one for each V.35. You say you have 12 channels of a T-1 going into a
router. Does the router have a built-in CSU/DSU? I didn't know Cisco did that although other vendors do. As soon as the T-1 hits the CSU/DSU, it's no longer in
channels, it's just Nx56 kbps formated in HDLC frames (FR,PPP) or whatever...

I think you can use the "channelized" interfaces of 2600 router.
Otherwise, all products below category "DSLAM" will help you. You can find a lot of them by searchinh internet.
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back