Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

breaking a mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

minxca

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
CA
Hi,
I have X335 with mirror. Now the system partition is full and i need to resize it. I tried to create an image of the HD but it took too long.
can i just turn off the server, unplug the second HD, resize and if it fail, turn off the server unplug the first HD and plug the second one?

I've done it once (swapping the HD after installing hotfix) but i think i have to do something else when i plug the second HD because the server asked for the primary, am i right?

Thanks,

Are you using a raid controller card or the on board raid controller?

Just unplugging the drive is not a good solution.

If you are using the LSI it is best effort but you could boot into Ctrl-C and break the mirror. Go into mirror properties and change them from Yes to No.

That should not change anything on the drives themselves so it should still boot to the OS and you then should have another drive available in disk management.

thanks for your response.
I'm using LSI logic 1020/1030 u320.
Ok so I when boot into ctrl+C my both HD still plugged or not?
and then after resize (success or not), i assume that I have to plug one HD first and then go to ctrl+C and turn off the server again?

If you don't mind could you explain it to me pls? i'm little bit nervous with this procedure because i can't backup this server anymore, i need to resize it to be able to upgrade to backupexec 11d.

Why unplugged it is not a good solution? i thought it will be OK if i do it when server is OFF

Should not be an issue if you want to unplug one of the drives then go into the ctrl-c and break the mirror.

Then once you verified that the machine still boots to the OS shut down and put in the other drive then go to disk management and format it.

Thanks,
I'm going to use paragon partition manager to resize. could you explain to me little bit the procedure in case the resize fail?
Do I need to boot with the good HD first, go to Ctrl+C reconfigure the mirror and then plug the second one?

Your not going to be able to resize anything without both drives installed.

Best thing to do is break the mirror and make sure it still boots on the primary drive.

Then put in the other drive and see if it will still boot since the other drive also has a OS on it. You might have to do some sort of low level format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back