Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Breaking a line in a View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2000
US
Hello,

Lets say I have four fields. Name, Address, Phone, EmailAddress

In my view I want Name and Addres on the top line and Phone and EmailAddress on bottom line.

Tried
Name + Address + @NewLine + Phone + EmailAddress
@Char(0)
@Char(13)

These do not seem to work in a view. Is this possible? Any suggestions?
Thanks

You should categorize the first column = Name + ": " + Address - go to the Column Properties - go to the second tab called the sorting tab and select categorize. The second column can be coded as Phone + "' " + EmailAddress

Thanks for the suggestion. In my view, my last column is set to extend to window width. If you put in enough data, notes will wrap around and start a new line. It is still considered the same row. Your solution would give us more rows that we would have to click on. (If I understood what you saying.) I would like to know if we can force notes to wrap the text at a certain put in the last column.

Yeah, there's a little bit of a change of thinking pattern involved here.

Try:
Name:Address:phone:EmailAddress

This will make your column value into a multi-item list. You can then set your column to separate multiple items with a "newline". You will want to ensure that you do not have "Show multiple items as separate entries" selected on that column.

The formula shown above will display as

primary Key Name
Address
Phone
EmailAddress

If you want
primary Key Name Phone
Address EmailAddress

You can accomplish that by making 2 columns, 1
Name:Address
Phone:EmailAddress

Kevin