Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Break Key not responded to on new Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve101

Programmer
Mar 29, 2002
AU
This may be an operating system configuration problem, but I will pose it here as its manifesting when I attempt to run some VB code from Access.

I am configuring a new computer (Sony VIAO) to replace an existing Dell I have. Both are running XP Professional. Both have been installed with Microsoft Office 2003.

When running the same application, the Dell responds immediately when I press the Control-Break key when I am running code in the immediate window.

Pressing the same Control-Break key from the Sony results in no execution interruption. The code keeps running without interruption.

I know that I have the keyboard configured correctly because if I add DoEvent code to within the While loops within the code, then the ControlBreak key presses are responded to immediately.

Does anyone know what I need to do, to get the ControlBreak key presses to be honoured in a more timely manner; I certainly do not want to have to plant unnecessary DoEvent code to achieve this.

TIA,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

How are ya Steve101 . . .

Thats funny . . . I thought to stop running code it was [blue]CTRL+BREAK[/blue] ?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Yes; it is Control-Break, as I indicate several times in the body of the post.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

TIA

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au

Steve101 . . .

Its a good thing I have an eye to see with! ;-)

Unless its corruption, is it possible you have another application running that takes over [blue]Ctrl + Break[/blue] ?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Aceman,
Unlikely; as stated, the DoEvents is honoured correctly. I just think that at some operating system level (perhaps), the keyboard interrupts need reconfiguring; just dont know how and where to do this. The DoEvents command would force this, but the default otherwise is what needs to be changed.

Any other takers ??????

Cheers,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au

I have no idea what the Sony VIAO looks like. Is it a desktop or a laptop?
On my HP laptop the ctrl-break combination is missing. One of the keys shows the text "Break" in blue. It took some time before I realised that I had to press the fn-break combination.
It's annoying, after all those years you get used to ctrl-break.

thanks hennep; have tried that; i know that the key combination i am pressing is correct, because it does respond when i include doevent commands in the code. without them though; its very slow to respond; thats why i think its an os config issue.

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back