Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand New to IM 7 - Need Beginner Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

axlaxl

MIS
Jun 27, 2003
US
Long story short...I inherited this project from someone who abandoned it after a feeble attempt to get it running.

I am starting small, about 20 Proliant servers ranging in age from brand new to 4 years old, -and a few RX3000 UPS's...I dont need anything fancy or too in depth...just want to know if someone breaks/reboots and get an email about it...I have installed IM 7 sp 2.3 but it only finds some of the servers on the network...have downloaded the documents but am a bit overwhelmed by the 500+ pages of info...so here are my questions:

1 - What exactly needs to be installed on the server being monitored so that it will communicate with the IM 7 server?

2 - Is there a beginner's guide to Insight Manager somewhere?

Once I get that answered I am sure I will come up with more...for now i have the basic config done, am getting basic email alerts, but cannot get all servers on the program.

Thanks in advance for the help.

In answer to your first question, you only require snmp installed on the server and configured with a community name that Insight Mgr is monitoring.

If you wish to get more from the interface, you can have the HP Management Agents installed on each server you are monitoring. This will provide you info on the hardware status (drives, memory etc).

Not sure about a simple guide on Insight Manager, but check HP's website, they may have something. BTW the latest engine for Insight Manager is called Systems Insight Manager and has a bit of a different interface.

I have been there, done that, best advice in a perfect world, install all of your servers using Compaq Smart Start, this will configure them with all of the SNMP agents you need for Insight Manager. I also recomend downloading the latest version, HP Systems Insight Manager as you are starting from scratch.

Other then that, Understand the basics of SNMP (needs to be installed on each server as well as the agents) before starting, that will help.

Parting thoughts - I have never found the documentation to be perfect, but once you have it up and running, it is very solid.

Cool...thanks for the help...I have it up and running in a basic format...works well...a few small problems but overall it works well...amd posting more questions above.

Management CD docs are somewhat confusing but read them carefully chapter by chapter and you will finally have a working system.

The servers to be monitored need SNMP openssh and PSP and you'll be almost there all you need is the config details for SNMP

Server is easy follow the manual step by step and decide your community - public etc and fixed IP address of server - obviously needed.

I have just started a big install rollout of 7.1 after 5 years of Project Management and HP look to have ruined a cool app, Compaq kept it simple and sweet just to get you started and then you could really get deep and meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back