Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand new pc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PortCityDude

Programmer
Jan 6, 2005
US
How do I get started with XP Pro? I'm getting a new PC after 4 years; used to have Windows98. I have also used Windows95 and windows2000.

XP Pro is essentially Windows 2000 with a few enhancements to the gui

Windows 2000 would be the closest to XP of what you have used.

Virus attacks on new PC
thread779-854688

Set your surfing user up as a Limited User so that any damage to your system is limited to a minute amount as compared to what occurs if you surf as an Administrator.
These following sites are general security sites which will help you with some security ideas.

Depending on what firewall you end up with you may require a third party program to block "pop ups". A separate virus scanner (and Trojan or Worm scanner) will be required as firewalls don't check files on your computer for virus or other infection, they just stop programs from phoning home.

Most nasties enter your computer via email attachments or downloads. A google search will find many possibilities for scanners, again some virus scanners are freeware, many are not.

A couple of good anti spyware programs are advisable.

Spybot

Ad-aware

MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

These following sites are general security sites.

Beginners Guides: Spyware Protection and Removal

This is an 8 page article but worth the read.

Some security ideas for you.

XP SP2 has a built in firewall

Microsoft TechNet Security - Columns

Also make sure you immediately take all Windows updates and patches as soon as you get it installed on the Internet. Right of the box, it will still need the latest patches and critical updates. SANS Institute recently published an article warning that a new unpatched Windows pc connected to the Internet will last for only an average of 20 minutes before it's compromised by malware.

Eh, be nice jfp!!! I know how hard core some users are of firefox vs IE, but lets let Port get acquainted with XP before tossing all the different browser options at him!!!

I also prefer to set the windows "skin" to windows classic vs. the newer skin so that it appears more like Win2K. Makes it easier to acclimate yourself to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back