Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

brand new p610 boots and eventually stops with LCD error c031.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwichman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have a 7028-6c1 (p610) server.. Brand new. When it boots is eventually stops at a blank screen and has error 0c31. Where do i go to find out what that means? The servers didnt include a printed book to lookup codes in and i'm not sure where on IBM's site to look for this type of info. Appreciate any help..

c31 means it can't find the console. Do you have a serial console or a graphics adapter in it?

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

How do you know that? i.e. i'd like to know in the future how i can determine that myself.

Currently i have a laptop hooked up to SA2 on the server with a null modem cable. I see the initial "loading software" ascii screen and even the part where it says "network keyboard . . .". There some scsi lines.. Eventually it goes blank and just sits there with the above error.

SA1 i believe shows nothing as it boots. There is an initial firmwar menu but i've been hitting "99" to exit the menu and continue. Odd i didnt seem to have a problem with the other p610 i have.

I know because I have years of experience. There is also a redbook with the error code in it but I can't remember which one. You can find it on IBM's website.

Are you trying to install this or has is been running?
Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

I have a hard time finding anything on IBM's website :)

This is a brand new server. First time i've powered it on and had a laptop connected to it. Of course at this point i've rebooted it several times trying to get logged in. AIX is certainly installed on it.

Anyways i messed with it some more. On SA1 i don't see any of the "loading software" or "network keyboard scsi .. ." info that i see on SA2. SA1 is quiet up until AIX starts to load. It asks me to hit 1 and press Enter to use it as a console. I did so and got up to the console login prompt on SA1. When i try to login as root though, as soon as i type "root" under "Console login:" it just scrolls fast and gives me another console login prompt. As though root login at the console is disabled.. I suppose i can boot off the AIX cd and enter maintenance mode or even just reinstall AIX, but i'm a bit confused as to how i got myself to this point.

On SA2 i see the opposite. I see the firmware/hardware related stuff and at some point it shows the boot device and mentions AIX and then says closing stdin and stdout. I don't see anything else and the laptop is unresponsive.

I find it odd that i don't see both of the above on both serial ports but obviously i'm just misunderstanding something. Ideally i'd like to see both on a single serial port of course..

Try using a full spec. null modem cable as I have known in the past for this to cause a problem with some of the signals on the pins. It works ok within the firmware prompt but for some reason it has problems when accessing AIX

It's your cable, I had the same issue when we got our 610's. You can get around it by altering the TTY settings when booting into maintenance mode.

Run smitty tty
Select "Change / Show Characteristics of a TTY"
Select your tty port on the popup
Go down to "STTY attributes for LOGIN" and add clocal to the list if not there.
Same as above for "STTY attributes for RUN time"

That solved my problem, hope it does so too for you.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Hi Gwichman,

Just press the number "1" on your keyboard when the system get's to 0c31.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back