Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand new lock violations errors all over my database

breezett93

Technical User
Jun 24, 2015
US
I have not made an update to my database since 7/24. However, I do see that there was a Windows Update between Friday and today.

Forms that have been working fine for years are suddenly breaking at random places. Often it happens when a field has a drop down with a selection that resides in another table.
Queries are not executing correctly because of lock violations.

Because this just came out of nowhere, I don't know where to start. Anyone else having this issue today? Best solutions to resolve lock violations?

Thanks

Issues like this, I always compact and repair a copy. If that doesn’t work, I create a new blank Access file and import all objects.

Are there other users?
Does this happen in only the one file?
Is the file split?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

I tried compact and repair on my copy. Some issues went away, but I'm still having lock error messages all over.

There are multiple users in the database every day. I have my own dev/test version that I use. The problem is happening on both my version and the live version. I even went to my June 2024 update which definitely did not have this issue, and I got the same errors as the current version.
No, this is happening on multiple forms that access many different tables. These forms have existed for multiple years, and this has never happened before.
Yes, there is a front end and a back end.

For the import to a new blank file, do you select the "Import tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules into the current database"?

I went ahead and selected the option above. It imported everything. I still am getting lock errors in several of the same place.

Here is a photo of the locking settings I have in the Client Settings. I have never made changes here. I do not know if these settings can be altered elsewhere.
record_locking_xuiqcl.png

Your settings match mine so I doubt that is the issue. It may be the Windows update. I would try to find a PC without the update to test. The other possible solution is to roll back the update.

One of the best sources for finding bugs with updates is [link accessforever.org]AccessForever[/url].

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

update_zp0xh1.png

These are the two updates that took place.

When I went to the uninstall updates section, the two that occurred were not in the list to be uninstalled.

Any other databases with the same errors? There could be a corruption in the Access database possibly within a table.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Other databases appear to be working fine.

I'm having reports from users saying the errors they were encountering have gone away. But I haven't changed anything.

I got nothing. When I have had corruption in tables, about the only way to find the issue is to browse through datasheet views.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

dhookom said:
When I have had corruption in tables...

Could you elaborate on 'corruption in tables', please?
What did you find wrong/corrupted?

Just curious...

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Sometimes a field value (typically long text) might contain junk. This could have caused by a bad network connection. I would create a query to return the first thousand records and scroll through them. Do the same for the next group and repeat. The bad record(s) are easily seen. It might be difficult to delete a corrupt record so I have appended records before and after to a new table.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

I'll give that a shot.

Everything appears to be running normally again; so I still have no idea what the original cause was.

Thank you.

My WAG is a network issue but that’s a common excuse for us Access developers.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back