Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand new install reboots without error ever 2-3 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAIX430

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
Well I reformatted a old PC installed 2k Pro nice and fresh it worked fine got all the software loaded and then made the mistake of patching it all the way up to SP4 etc took it to my friends house and now the thing reboots every once in a while when you click on something. It's a random occurence, first time it was opening the D:, bang black screen. Then opening outlook, bang. So I'm planning on just doing a reinstall, I'll just copy over the winnt folder that's already there and then reinstall the programs. BUT, if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears! Thanks

Before you go to all that trouble perhaps we can figure out what is causing the problem. Right click on My Computer, go to Properties. Click on the Advanced Tab. Click Start up and Recovery. Make sure Write an event to the system log is checked and uncheck Automatically reboot. This should cause an error message to be displayed instead of just a reboot. Also go to the event viewer and look at the system events. See if there are any errors at the time of the reboots. Let us know what you find.

I might be wrong, but I think it's generally better to install all patches and SPs BEFORE you install the rest of your software. Then you'll know which piece of software is conflicting with it.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

STOP unexpected kernel mode trap

that's the newset and greatest error. MS says that's either a software or hardware error and then recommends replacing RAM and any other cards in the PC, so not real helpful.

I'm just going to do a reinstall of the OS. Thanks for you comments!

RAM!
My Guess is Memory! try reseating the memory chips...

No Pain No Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back