Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand New Home Machine - What Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexhu

MIS
Sep 25, 2001
GB
I am installing a new machine (XP SP2) for my sister and would appreicate your comments on what security measures i should take

I am going to install;

Anitivirus
Adaware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Zonealarm (and switch off the MS firewall)

Anything else ?

Alex

Is zone alarm really necessary? XP2 firewall is pretty decent and it a touch more user friendly.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I was under the impression that it was not very good - has this changed with SP2?

Alex

Yes, it was added in SP2 ;)

I use it at home, never had a problem with it at all.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

The firewall introduced with XP's SP2 doesn't monitor or restrict outbound traffic, only inbound. ZA (or another third party firewall) would therefore be a better option, although requiring a little more in the way of user awareness.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

True, although on a home computer if the user is clued up enough to know what they can and should not let out, they are probably clued up to not download and install dubious software.

I wouldn't rely on windows firewall. The items you have listed is exactly what i run and i never have any problems. But i also have a better than average understanding of things.

If you're behind a router, you should be OK with any of the common software firewalls.

Test your security with ShieldsUp at www.grc.com.

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back