Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Branch Functionality 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirHogaLot

Programmer
Jun 9, 2005
US
Hi,
I hope I have posted in the right forum, if not, I apologize in advance. I worked for any employer that had a unique functionality and I wanted to know if anyone knew how to set this up.

While in a member (a cobol program), the user could position their cursor on a line that had a paragraph name (say P2000) and could hit a PFKEY (PF 12 in my case) and that function would take them directly to that paragraph (kind of like a "F p2000 8" command) . Conversely if the programmer hit a PF13 it would take them back to the statement that called that paragraphy. The terminology used by this company was BRANCH.

I have now switched employers and cannot figure out how to set up this command. The command BRANCH doesn't seem to work, so I am not sure if there is some REXX involved or what, but this is a super nice, time saving function. Please help if you can.

Thanks,

SirHogaLot

Clive,
that does help in that you know what the heck I'm talking about (no one up here has ever heard of this), but I don't have any idea what those macros (%COBRET and %COBPERF) look like. Do you have any idea how to create these, or where I might find them?

Thanks a lot.

perfect Clive... This was just what I was looking for.

I'm not sure I know how to do this (no experience with REXX) but I'm sure that I can find someone who can.

Thanks again. I'm not sure what this star thing is, but I will give you one.

On the installation notes for the site you sent me it states
1. Put the EXEC in appropriate PDS allocated to your TSO SYSPROC or SYSEXEC DD.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I find which PDS it is talking about??

You can use the LISTA command to find out what datasets are allocated to your TSO session. From within ISPF, for example, enter this on any command line:
Code:
TSO LISTA HISTORY STATUS
It is not a pretty display but is fairly easy to decipher. You should be able to tell which datasets are allocated to the SYSPROC DD (used for Clists and REXX execs) and SYSEXEC DD (used only for REXX execs). You need to be aware that the first dataset in the concatentation appears above the DD name.

There are other ways to get this information but this is the quickest (and dirtiest) that I know. In fact, it is one of the first things I do when starting a new contract so I can find useful tools, both those I have used before and ones I have never heard of.

Once you know the datasets involved, you can find out if you are authorized to place members into any of them. If so, then that is where you want to put your stuff. If not, you will have to get a system programmer to help you out, depending on what your shop allows.

Hope this helps!

Ever onward,
jar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back