Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brain faded SUS question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
Ok, I'm having brain fade. I've setup my SUS server, tested it, and haven't had any problems during the test. So now I'm ready to roll it into production.

Here's where my brain fade set in. All the instructions talk about creating an OU, modifying the GP for that OU, then simply say (quoting from the susserver site):

"As the policy is applied to the computers via the domain, they will begin to check-in to the SUS Server for their Microsoft updates."

Now, in order for the computers in the domain to get this policy, I have to move the computer accounts into the OU that I created and added the SUS GP to, correct?

I know this is a dumb question, but none of the instructions I have specifically state that, so I just want to be sure before I move from the lab into production.

TIA

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Yes the comptuer accounts need to be in the OU to receive the policy.

Or if you prefer you can just assign the GPO at the domain level, all Users and PC's within the domain will be inheriet this policy

Mike

Thanks. It seemed so obvious, but it threw me when none of the instructions spelled that out when they spelled everything else out.

Can't do it at the domain level, I have systems running furnaces that have to be done manually still (darn it).

Thanks!

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Instead of putting a group policy directly on that OU, I suggest creating a group policy OU which contains all policies that you use for the domain. Then link to the policy in that OU from the OU containing your machines. That way you can reuse the policy from a central location and always know where to look for all of your policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back