Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BPS2000 vs. the evil 450-1GBIC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narizz28

MIS
Mar 8, 2001
Configuration:

PP8310 at the MDF(core) and works perfectly, Dell 24 10/100 port + 1 GB port unmanged switches at the IDF (distributed via CAT6) with copper GB home-runs.

Working fine.

Change in desgin/test:

Replace Dell switches at IDF with BPS-2000 switches for QoS support, preparing for VoIP.

Problem:

I have in the BPS-2000's the 450-1GBIC MDA's (P/N AL203330009) and 1GB GBIC's in them. The BPS-2000 sees the GBIC just fine, but doesn't link up (link down). Upon looking into DM at the MDA, it shows it as "1000MB MDA, Unsupported XCVR". I'm going to try a BPS2000-1GT MDA (P/N AL20330014) to see if that fixes the issue.

Question:

Any advice? I am a Cisco/Server dude making the conversion to Nortel (putting in a CS-1000 PBX w/ 2050 phones) and am a little clueless to the nuances of such devices. I was told by my vendor (whom I'm trusting to make it a working config) that BPS2K is fully compatible with BS450 devices. He also agrees that the BPS2000-1GT is the correct next step in getting this working.

Thanks in advance for any guidence. I'll reply in this thread with any discoveries I find.

Narizz28

Do you have link in both directions? Try toggling Autonegotiate on the Ethernet port on the 8300. I have had issues with autonegotiate setting between my 8600s, BPS2Ks and 450s with fiber connections.

Telecom, I only have a link on the 8300. The GBIC on the BPS is recognized in DM as a Nortel GBIC, but the MDA only comes up as "1000MB MDA, Unsuported XCVR". The GBIC does not show a link on the BPS. It seems like the BPS is cool with the GBIC but doesn't like the MDA it's plugged in to.

Narizz

MDA in B450 and BPS is different.
I think that 450 MDA can’t work in BPS.

That's what I'm starting to realize repaRU. Thanks for your input. I'll post more when I try the BPS2000-1GT. It should be in today.

Check your port settings in the BPS - I've seen in the past where the fiber MDA ports on the BPS won't autonegotiate and it won't get you the option to turn it on or off. If it says autonegotiate disabled, change the fiber port on the 8300 to autonegotiate disabled also - the link should pop up.

I've used those MDA's in BPS and 460 units without any problems, except for what I described above.

biv343 can you try to configure shaping feature of BPS when 450 MDA inserted into chassis?

Still no dice using the 450-1GBIC with the RJ-45 1000MB GBIC. biv343, I tried setting both side's autonegotiate to off, 1000MB full, but the GBIC still doesn't link up. FYI, this is a copper 1GB connection, not fiber. I will wait for and try the BPS2000-1GT when it arrives today.

Thanks again for the inupt.

Narizz

repaRU was correct. The minute I plugged in the BPS2000-1GT, everything worked fine. Thanks again all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back