Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bpimage command documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieD

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
Does anyone know where I can find any documentation on the bpimage command options? All I can find is a brief line here & there for a specific use (best one being bpimage -newserver <new media server name> -oldserver <old media server name>. This is to change the image catalog to reference a new media server in a DR situation. If anyone knows where to point me, I'd be very thankful!

If the Host that Originally Wrote the Media is Not Available

1. If necessary, physically move the media and update the Media Manager volume database by using the move volume options in the Media and Device Management window.

2. Update only the NetBackup image catalog on the master server.
Use the following command from the NetBackup master server (as administrator,
from the MSDOS prompt):
cd install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd
bpimage.exe -id media_id -newserver hostname
-oldserver hostname
(the admincmd command above must be on one line)
To revert to the original configuration for future restores, perform the same steps again,
switching the host names on the commands.
Method 2 -- Overriding the Original Server
NetBackup allows the administrator to force restores to a specific server, regardless of
where the files were backed up. For example, if files were backed up on server A, a restore
request can be forced to use server B. This method requires administrator intervention.
For further information, see “Media host override” on page 510 of the NetBackup Admin Guide.

Thanks for your reply, comtec17. I appreciate it. This info is very useful. I'm a new forum member & am learning the need to be more specific. I have several image DB changes I would like to make, so I'll just stick with the first one for now:
I have a policy that has been running with a retention of 3 months. I have been requested to change that retention to 1 year - for both the new saves (done), as well as change the retention of those images already made. In NB class I asked if there was any way around having to delete & import all of those tapes to change their retentions. &quot;Sure, just run the bpimage command against it&quot;. Documentation / options - ? I can't find much on it.

Thank you; & that's where I found what little I did. I've spent considerable time surfing for comprehensive documentation, as well as for the specific need mentioned prior, but to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back