Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Box display over Graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephHansen

Programmer
Dec 26, 2001
IN
I am using a background in my page header file that is using "Underlay following sections." This is a bmp of a dark blue gradient background that makes it look like a nice form.

I have white boxes through the detail section created so that the text can display on top of the background clearly. The white boxes are going under the background image. How do I bring them to the front? I am using a yellow border and white fill in the format box properties.

Thanks

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Is the page header the only section set to underlay following sections?

Also, if you set the box fill to another colour, other than white, do you see any change? I just want to be certain the boxes are filling with a recognised hex or decimal colour, rather than no-fill.

Naith

Yes, the page header is the only section that underlays.

I changed the box and the border to different colors 3 times, no effect.

Stephanie

Hi Steph,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - I had a production issue of my own. I don't know if you're still having this problem, but can you insert a fresh page header section, set it to underlay and insert your image in there and reproduce the problem?

The other thing I wanted to know is, is the image just a blue fade - dark to light? That's all? No actual image or logo on it? Also, would I be right in assuming there are no subreports here?

Naith

Thanks for getting back to me!

Actually, I ended up creating two box jpg images and am using those over the background image, so that is now working.

BUT...the report file is now 25 mb which is MUCH larger than it was and the jpg image is only 200k. My report file was corrupted yesterday, so I am working off of two copies now. The most recent development is that when I save the report the background image disappears. Any reason why this would happen?

Thanks again!

Stephanie

I have seen hugely inflated file sizes like you describe when pictures are attached in a handful of instances, but not just with Crystal. With Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint, too. In all these instances, it turned out that the issue was with the image file.

Just to ascertain if the anomaly lies with your image of the rpt, dump your jpg into a word doc or powerpoint or something, and see what the jump is in file size.

However, if when you save your report, you have objects disappearing, then it does indeed sound like your rpt is corrupt. You said you were working off two copies - are both rpt files acting weird since you added your image?

To produce the blue fade in your report, is it possible to save your jpg as another filename and try importing that?

If that doesn't work, how about manually replicating the fade effect without inserting the image? You can achieve this by conditionally formatting your details section with:
Code:
WhilePrintingRecords;
NumberVar Counter;
NumberVar IncrementValue := 3;

If Counter + IncrementValue >= 255
Then Counter := 255
Else Counter := Counter + IncrementValue;

Color(Counter, Counter, 255)
and insert
Code:
WhilePrintingRecords;
NumberVar Counter := 0;