Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOX AROUND PLACED IMAGE....This is Crazy...Any suggestions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

impresariodimorte

Technical User
Jul 19, 2006
US
Below is my previous posted thread. I have tried the suggestions to no avail. I have saved the image in a PDF, TIFF, Jpeg. with and without a transparent background and I'm still getting a thin line partially around the image. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I scan an image into PhotoShop, save as a jpeg and then place into InDesignCS2. I get this very thin line right vertical and bottom horizontal. It does not show up on the screen, but it prints. There is no drop shadow or box around the image. What can be causing this?

Did you crop out any white artifacts in Photoshop? It sounds like the scanner is picking up some white border.
Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Yes, I did crop out the background. How can I eliminate the thin line?

Quick and dirty method, create a rectangular frame and place image in that and then use the frame to crop the 2 problem edges. Better method, In photoshop save as TIFF and, when you get the options window, check "save transparency'. JPEG does not support transparency.

...have you tried simply moving the boxes frame in slightly so it crops off the image? Does the line still appear when printed? have you exported to pdf, does it show in acrobat?

andrew

Are you simply seeing transparency stitching?

If you look in the pages palette of InDesign, is the icon for the page you are on a solid white or is there a gray/white checkerboard?

I have moved the box frame in as close as possible to not cut off part of the image and I have exported to a PDF and in both incidences the thin line does not appear on the screen, but it prints.

I am not familiar with the term transparency stitching, when saved as a PDF or a TIFF.....yes the background is transparent with the gray checkerboard effect. Thin lines till do not show up on the screen, but they print.

This may be a silly question, but is there a stroke weight and color applied to your bounding box?

Using the Selection Arrow (black) tool , click the photo to select the bounding box of its frame.

Check the Swatches palette and the Toolbox to see if there is a stroke color on the frame.

If you look in the pages palette of InDesign, is the icon for the page you are on a solid white or is there a gray/white checkerboard?

Make a PDF with "High Quality Print" settings.
Print with separations, I assume your laser printer recombines separations.
I'm also guessing you're not trapping this file, nor is your printer doing any kind of trapping.
If you cannot see a white line when you're zoomed way up in Acrobat, then it surely will not print.
Hope it helps
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back