Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boss behavior - is this normal? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqlcasey

Programmer
Sep 21, 2006
US
Hi,

Just want to get a reality check here. Prior to our company getting bought out, I had a pretty decent manager. Despite a few annoying idiosyncracies (like talking too much!), he was bright and energetic, and actually very helpful at times. I also had a pretty good relationship to his boss as well. However, both of these individuals have since left to pursue much better options elsewhere.

By default, another individual was elected to be the new boss of our department. Frankly, I have never really liked or respected this person. He's frantic and even spastic at times - he often doesn't think clearly or rationally, and is overly emotional about stupid, petty things of no consequence. More than once, I have found myself in an argument with this person (before he was my "boss"), because of his utter irrationality. For example, telling me to do something wrong, and insisting it is right, when I know for a fact he's totally off-base. But he seems more interested in exerting control over me than actually being rational or fair.

I don't know if it's of any consequence that is individual is a man, and I am a woman (a woman he finds threatening, I think as well).

During one particularly stressful period, this person got really verbally nasty with me in front of my coworkers. Not sexually, but abusive for sure.

I reported this incident to a higher-up the next day to no effect.

Anyhow, we have a long history of really not liking each other. Now his latest "thing" is keeping track of what time I come in every day. I find this extremely offensive.

Someone please tell me, does this suck or what?

I'm sorry about your situation however remember the workplace is no place for personal feelings...no matter what:

Being a manager and owner I suggest following from "eyetry's" advice listed in point 5.

Here it is again for your consideration:

5. get his instructions in writing. mention the potential problems of proceeding down that path (document it). accept his decision (document it) with a smile (you don't need to document the smile). and let the chips fall where they may. it'll be hard at first but you might find he hangs himself and you look like the hero. you might find that his method wasn't so off the mark.

Bosses just care about doing things the way they want things done without discontent for their decisions.

If indeed he is bad at his job then you will have been a good employee by following his lead. Any problems arising from his "orders" will reflect badly on him only. Hey, you may even get his job when he´s out of there.

Best regards,

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back