Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bosinst.data file on AIX 4.1.5 cd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

regcheeseman

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

Back again.... I have been using my ULTRApenguin (Sun Linux) to view AIX cd roms to try and work out if they are bootable.
I have found a file called BOSinst.data that seems to have 'remed out' instructions and a little bit of code.
Does anybody know about this file, do I try and fill in the required fields, save to floppy and then boot to that floppy?

Also what filesystem do I format floppies to in order that they are bootable in UNIX box?

Thanks!

AIX 4.x doesn't fit, and then won't boot from a floppy.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Sorry Mr Smart.

Broke the thread, and it didn't make much sense, typing it quickly yesterday, hopping between four machines on three platforms pausing only to bang my head against the wall for some satisfaction.
Did you think I was trying to install AIX onto the ultra - which already has Linux? As if!
I have a 320 RS6000 with a completely (non) operating 4.1 install - no service mode, no normal mode so I want to do a complete install. The computer is intended to be used to teach a bit of basic networking and unix to HND students.
Problem is the box won't boot the cd-rom (repeated 223/229 error) which makes me think that I need bootable media - hence me using my linux box to view the cd files.
I was thinking that I could edit the file, save it to floppy and boot the 320 from that.
Possible or is there any way I can boot from the cd-roms?

Or did you simply mean that bosinst.data would not fit onto floppy? It doesn't look that big? If you can't get boot files onto a floppy and the box won't boot the cd-rom (assuming I have the correct disks) AND there is no network, how are you supposed to install this software?
I have a mksysb file of the box when it worked but the bootlist is not set for tapes and I can't change it cos the os is screwed, any way round.

Cheers!

Stupid is, as stupid does.

Hi,

bosinst.data file is a text file used by mksysb and installation procedure to control installation process (prompting, recovering devices ...).

If you can't modify the bootlist because the OS is crashed, maybe you can change it from the SMS menu (F1 key at system startup, then modify boot sequence).

On some systems, you can also hit 000 (from the keypad) while OS is displaying /,|,\ to get a prompt and go in interactive mode.

There's a way to boot from a floppy (ok with Aix 5, to confirm with previous versions), copying image.data and bosinst.data in a direction (/tmp/foo for example), creating a file called "signature" with the only word "data" in it, and then backing up these files on a floppy (cd /tmp/foo; find . | backup -ivqf /dev/rfd0). But it supposes you have access at your system.

Repeated 223/229 error messages let me think you have a hardware fault on you system (they should be 5XX if a minimal kernel is loaded). May have a look at "AIX Message Guide and Reference" and "AIX Problem Solving Guide and Reference" on IBM's site to have detailed information on it.

Oops, sorry, if it's a hardware problem, it might be clever to look at RS/6000 70XX Model Service Guide ...

According to IBM, "If the system cycles display values (the display changes from 223 to 229 to 223 and so on), the IPL list in nonvolatile random access memory (NVRAM) is incorrect. It is most likely pointing to a device without a boot record, or the device is unavailable" (Redbook SG245139).

So, try modify the bootlist via SMS menu to use mksysb backup, or try another CD (if the problem doesn't come from CD-Drive ...)

nwardez,

Thanks! I am using a modified winterm, do I need to plug a keyboard in direct to the box to gain access to SMS area? It seems with a non operating system that this is about my only course of action.
The CD-drive is fine, I have both of the aix 4.1.5 cd-roms but they don't seem bootable - unfortunately I don't know where to look or what to look for so am completely in the dark. Great to have people around with a torch though.....

Cheers!

Clive.

Additional....

tried F1 key in service and normal modes, through terminal and directly connected keyboard but with no success :-(

Cheers!

Clive.

Wow, I think torch is rather a small lamp ...

Just found in a doc you can also hit F5 to force system booting on a CD in some systems (don't be afraid, I won't tell you to try every fonction key of your keyboard, I just take time to find another idea :))

Cheers!

Dont be afraid to tell me really basic stuff that everyone else knows and assume I know as well - it's all really useful.
I have never directly used UNIX before - ever, and this week I have to build a system and get it fully operational.
Plenty of books/web info to help me if i'm a complete begineer user and some too advanced administrator books/web pages.
All help gratefully received.

The 223/229 error and the spinning cd-rom would indicate that the machine is already trying to boot the cd-rom?

Anyone know the what the install disk for 4.1.5 actually looks like so I can determine if it is correct?

Thank you,

Clive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back