Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bosboot command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2004
US
Hello All,
I have a question about bosboot when mirroring rootvg. I have seen at least 3 different ways of running the bosboot command and I was wondering if they all did the same thing? The commands are:

1) bosboot -a

2) bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk# (where hdisk# is the disk that was just brought into rootvg and mirrored to)

3) bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk# (where hdisk# is the first hdisk listed under the PV heading after the command lslv -l hd5 has been excuted)

For #3 the first hdisk always seems to be the original hdisk that was part of rootvg.
I just want to be sure that both drives will be bootable.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi,

Dont forget to add your new hdisk in your normal bootlist else you wont be able to boot on it.

bootlist -m nomal hdisk1 hdisk2 .... cd0

To print your bootlist, type: bootlist -m normal -o

-a only creates a boot image on the default fixed boot device.

-ad lets you select the device to create a boot image on. You can run this on either of the hdisks because they are mirrored. You can also use the ipldevice which links to the boot device.

Read the man pages for more details. It would have also answered you questions more quickly than typing a question here and waiting for a response.

man pages are your friend.

You can also use "ipl_varyon -i" to determine which disks are bootable.

Regards,

IBM Certified Systems Expert pSeries HACMP for AIX
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert for AIX 5L and pSeries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back