Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Borders on photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen52

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Okay I know I'm thick, and I'm new to Illustrator and you all love it. But how do add a border to a photo? You use File .. Place to stick the picture on the page but how can you add a border to it. I have clicked 'stroke' and set stroke values but nothing happens.

Make an empty box over the top of the photo and then set your stroke and color.

Tony Perkins

Set your Fill color to empty (no color) and stroke color and size to what you want.

Select the picture. Then selct the Pen tool. Click the pen tool EXACTLY on each of the little corner markers of the pic. You'll see each side of the pic gets the stroke as you click each subsequent corner.

Afterward, you can adjust stroke width in the Stroke window and change color in the stroke tool on tools palette. It's importan not to have a Fill when doing this or the pen tool will fill your pic with that as you create the path around the pic.

Ta add a stroke to a raster image (other than work around it by using the previous solution):

1. Select the image;

2. In the appearance palette (the greatest thing since sliced bread, learn how to use it quickly), click on the flyout arrow and select "add new stroke"; Nothing appears to happen, yet, so next:

3. Effect>Path>Outline Object will make the stroke visible. Now, you can access this stroke from the appearance palette and change its color, width, and a whole bunch of other things.

The benefit of doing it this way, is that you only end up with one object, so no worries about scaling or moving and overlooking the stroke in the process.

If you need the stroke to be a separate path, Object>Expand will make it "real".

If your raster has transparency, the path will follow the edge of the visible pixels. That can be nice, too.

Bert

Bert Philippus

Thank you all very much for your answers. I know you guys all love Illustrator - as someone who has not done any graphics work for about 6 years - used to use Freehand and Quark - boy, sticking a border on a picture in Illustrator seems ... well ... inordinately complicated. But, thanks - I now have it cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back