Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

juxtabeginner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
US
I receivie a message at bootup that says emm386 is not detected. I need to reboot my system frequently because the resources depleat to 40% fairly rapidly and the cursor hangs when I save a file or on the internet a popup is being displayed on the screen. The bootup message goes by very fast...what is the command to single step throught the bootup process or what do you make of the emm386 message?
TIA.

F8 before the first windows screen pops up will bring up the Windows boot menu. You can select step-by-step boot from there in WinME or earlier.

What OS?

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Emm386 and refrences to it are located in the Config.sys file and sound like your config.sys file maybe knackered. When you look at your config.sys file it should appear before himem.sys if I remember correctly this is where I'd start to look at the problem.
To bypass individual files on booting W98 pess the shift key when you see the starting windows message.

Also I'd check your RAM and Virtual memory settins and available free space on your hard drive in relation to your system hanging.

Hope these point you in the right direction and left me know if I'm right off the mark.

[pc] Comboy

You can run win98 on some computers with 32 Megs of memory. I have done it before. But It may need about 128 Megs to run well. Certain programs like a lot more memory. MS Office can run you out of memory fast. Win98 will run pretty well on about 256 Megs or up to 384 to 512 Megs. If you go any higher than 512 Megs, Win98 can not handle the extra memory. It is due to how the OS was written, not the motherboard. Win98 likes at least 384 Megs of free Hard Drive Disk space for swap memory for the windows virual memory system. It runs faster with more free space.

I also recommend getting any available win98 updates from microsoft. With win98SE, I use IE6 with support pack 1. I still run this on motherboards that are older if they can not handle WinXP or I dont want to purchase WinXP. I have found Win98SE with fat32 runs well on 512 Megs of memory.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back