Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootup from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaiDanac

Programmer
Mar 25, 2004
US
I'm running an AMD machine with 2 CD ROMS on it, one that's a CDRW (Master on IDE1) and the other a regular CD (Slave on IDE1). I have an ASUS motherboard A7V333.

How can I get my machine to boot from CD at bootup time. Everytime I have a CD in there, it simply ignores what's on it and loads from C: at boot up time.

I tired playing with the BIOS settings to make it boot from CDROM, then A:, then C:, but that still doesn't work! Could it be the CDRW? It's fairly new (LiteOn 52/24/52)!

I'm running win 2000 pro.

Appreciate the help.
NaiDanac

If you are trying to boot up with an XP CD, there should be a message to press any key to boot from CD. If you don't, it will continue to other boot up options. Just to make sure, I would also try the other CD drive.

Mike Cormier
May God bless everything you do...

If you are trying to use a WINXP cd...do this...
1) set your bios to boot to the floppy drive
2) insert a boot disk to the floppy drive and the win XP cd into the CDRW (the master)
The bios will read the boot disk and automatically go to the cd.

I just built a PC that has an ASUS mb and that's how we had to install the OS.

If the cd is not a winxp, let us know.

Howdy:

First of all, the cd has to be bootable (some Win98 cd's, Win2000 and XP) or another operating system such as Linux.. if it isn't, then it will never boot from the cd and continue on until it finds the proper files needed to boot the system - either a floppy or c: drive..

Murray

I tried it with both a linux cd and a win 2000 cd

Good.. is your bios set to boot to the cd-rom first BEFORE anything else (first Boot Device = cd-rom) ?? When you make this change, are you SAVING and then exiting??

Murray

Are you trying to boot CD from the CDRW or the CDROM drive?

If CDRW is master, likely bios will try to boot from that if set to boot from CD first.

SESaskDFC: BIOS setup to boot from CD (saves correctly), and the CD was in the Master (IDE1)!

Then, either you have a copied version of Win2000 or a bad cd..

As for the linux, what distro??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back