Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BootSector Write! VIRUS - HELP!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Due to problems with my PC i have fdisked and formatted my hard drive, and all would appear to have gone well.

However, when i try to load windows ME i get to the point where it loads the setup files and i get the message
BootSector Write! VIRUS: Continue y/n

At this point no keys work and i have to reset the pc.

I have reset the bios to boot from Cd and put in Nortons antivirus and this would appear to say that the c drive is OK and virus free.

I have tried a couple of different start up disks and versions of ME (and 98) just in case it was these that were infected but to no avail.

Can somebody please help me.

Enter your bios. Somewhere there is a setting for 'boot sector virus protection' or something similar. Your hardware is preventing the ME installation from writing to the boot sector (which it has to do). Disable this setting and you should be all set.

Smah hit it right on the head...... Disable virus protection in the BIOS.

Thanks Smash.
I was writing this for a relative who knows even less than me but loves to dabble with bios settings etc!. When she read this she then told me that she had switched the setting from its default of disabled to make it enabled!
Still, we did have hours of fun reformatting hard drives etc!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back