Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bootlist on cd0 doesn't work if the cd is added dynamically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strus

Programmer
Nov 24, 2004
FR
Hi,

I have a POWER5 machine with several micro-partition defined.
When I want to install a new AIX version on one of these partitions using the cd0, I move the CD using the LPAR method, the cd0 is listed by the system on the new partition but bootlist with cd0 specified desn't work.
Do you have any idea ?

You can still boot off the CD by going thru the SMS menus and manually choosing to boot in service mode from cd/dvd device. (first choose "7. Boot Options", then "1. Boot/Install from" I think).

HTH,

p5wizard

Yes, that what I am doing, but why it is not possible to use the bootlist command ???? That is my real problem !

Did you run a cfgmgr (in smit devices: first option: "Install/Configure Devices Added After IPL") on the LPAR you moved the device to? Is the cd/dvd device in state "Available"?

HTH,

p5wizard

Please show exact bootlist command you tried? And also the error message you get?

HTH,

p5wizard

bootlist -m normal /dev/cd0

and it says that /dev/cd0 does't exist, although it is listed by lsdev and available !

I try this:
bootlist -m normal cd0

But it fails too, saying that the bootlist cannot be etablished. (error number 221).

Hi

Your cd0 is not in the Systemprofile.
If you add the cdrom by DLPAR, then the cd is gone away on next reboot.
You can only add your cdrom with dlpar if AIX is running.
You can only set the bootlist to cd0 if the cdrom is included in your system Profile.

I thinj, you misunderstood what I described.
Let me give you much more details.

I have the both partitions part1 and part2.
Let says that the part1 owns the cd0.
I want to install part2 from the cdrom.
I first detach the cd from part1.
I move with the HMC the cd from part 1 to part2.
Then I run cfgmgr on part2.
Then I run lsdev, the cd0 is on part2 "Available".

If I run bootlist, I have an error.
Why ?

exact error message:
0514-221: Unable to make boot device list for cd0

hope it can help !

Hi strus,

AIX5L is saying that you need to also change the system profile on the HMC for part2. If you have not done this the cdrom will not be part of the partition when you reboot so AIX will not allow it to be added to the bootlist. Hope this clears it up for you.

Jim Hirschauer

I don't anderstand this part of your answer:
"you need to also change the system profile on the HMC for part2"
What does this mean ? Is it a command to run on AIX on part2 or it is something to do on the HMC ?
thanks

You do it from the HMC. You need to update the default boot profile for the part2 server. The DLPAR function does not do this automatically for you. This is a common stumbling point of DLPAR.

Jim Hirschauer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back