Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting problems On windows 2k Professional. Please advice. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark505

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
Good day all, first and foremost i do really appreciate this site and its efforts to help others / one another.

Anyway, my problem started a couple of days ago. I have a compac pentium 2 computer.with windows 2000 profesional oper system. when i press the power button so as to start up, the compac screen comes on, then a messsage ' press any key to view option rom messages '. It then starts to boot, after the win 2k screen start up window is done, a blue screen appears and the comp shuts down and statrts the boot process again. I have tried to boot on all possible options using the f8 key, but problem still continues. I really dont know what happened or what i can do to have it running again.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark505.

Oh..i also forgot to add that, the bootdisks i downloaded arent being recognized. When i insert them, its states that that is an invalid disk, plse replace and insert other disk.

Mark505.

CMOS battery life expectancy is 3-4 years

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Can u get to command prompt only and if so type
Chkdsk C: /p /r

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Godd afternoon, i wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated in this discussion for i finally got to have it running. I bouhgt a new battery and also got someone to help me with a compaq quick restore disk. The disc cleaned up every thing and now the comp is working. i also reinstalled win 98, and all is now normal. Probably there was a virus, but it now works. I guess ill do with the 98 oper system for now. I may install win xp coz i have the oper sytem.

Again Thanks for your participation.

Mark505.

Thanx for the update Mark505;
and since you're starting fresh, maybe consider mozilla's browser instead of IE..
Read this and view the feedback comments at bottom of page..
and mozilla's stuff is here

TT4U

Notification:

my comp is like the same but..... everything is alright just that.. when, after the part where if u want to press F8, where it starts to load windows wit the blue squars... mine goes to the middle and then *WHAM* my comp restarts :-(

Ive also had a simlar problem. happened when i had a pci video card installed but there was still the original chipset enabled. remove anything recently installed and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back